Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tryin to step up my game

My technique last year was pretty basic: Pole, hook, bobber, weight and a dozen nightcrawlers.


We caught a decent amount of fish with the live bait, but nothing really over 3lbs. Caught way more bluegill than bass. While it's fun to catch bluegills, it's the bass you're really after. My mentality last year was "as long as i'm catching something i'm fine with that." Bluegill served its purpose. The mindframe changed late last year on one memorable trips with Schiffer to Waldrens house in Marysville. Brian and I used Senko's for the first time and caught a gang of bass all day long. Too bad it was late fall and one of the last fishing trips of 08. It left a taste in my mouth as powerful as a 3 aut hook.


I've gotten great guidance from 2 coworkers whom I consider master anglers. Bill Cook from Bakersfield California was in my seller onboarding class this winter. Bill runs professional bass tournements in California and is an accomplished angler. During our second week of training, Bill brought me a case full of all kinds of lures and senko's. I was like a little kid at Christmas looking at all this gear. This was exactly what i needed to kickstart my game.

Another coworker Jim "atomic trouser trout" Kughn is a "fish hunter." This guy sits out in a bellyboat fighting off turtles to catch monster bass. If you see a sasquatch fishing in an innertube and wearing a Mcain/Palin hat, it's gotta be Jim Kughn. Jim's one of the most knowledgable guys I've ever met when it comes to bass fishing. He's eager to share anything he knows about fishing. In fact, he's been calling me "grasshopper" lately. Can't wait to get out with "Troutman."

No comments:

Post a Comment