Saturday, November 14, 2009

Best Day of the Year

November 14th-

Who'd a thunk it? This late in November and the weather continues to be phenomenal. I never imagined that the best day of the season would be on the same day as OSU's last home game. After catching a big cat last night I was pumped to catch more fish. Otter just moved into a house with the Darby practically right in his back yard. We had yet to fish it, so we went with live bait to scout it out. As we were hiking in you could see 2 huge lakes about a quarter mile away in the middle of the woods on the other side of the river. After an hour on the river with no luck we decided to cross and check out the lakes. We took off our kicks and waded through the freezing cold water to the other side. A short hike further we found the 2 quarry ponds and decided to fish the bigger of the 2.

It was slow at first but the sun was shinin so good we didn't mind. Around 1pm the sun was so bright i took my shirt off to catch some rays on my pasty ohio skin. Next cast BANG. Bluegill the size of my hand. Okay, this is a start. A few casts later BANG the smallest bass i've caught all year. A bass was a bass at that point, and Otter said "catch one on the next cast." sho nuff, on the next cast another small bass. A few more bluegill here and there. Everything was 1 to 3 feet from the edge, where the water was warmer than the deep part of the quarry. We decided to give the smaller lake behind us a try.
That's when the fun started. We're slayin fish. Old school night crawler and bobber style. Otter's catchin bluegill and bass on every cast. I had 2 poles out and it was tough to manage both in the water at the same time. I saw my bobber disappear and set the hell out of the hook. After catching small fish all day, you know when you got a good one on. Big ol healthy 3lb bass.


Here's the best part. I broke my hook off on the 3lbers mouth. We went ahead and released him and affectionately named him Captain Hook. I'm going to catch that fish again. He must be my Moby Dick.

This pond was unreal. We worked around to every corner of the lake and just killed em on every cast. At one point, I had one fish on one pole and my bobber on my other pole disappears. i bent down and set it with my left hand while still holding the other pole. For about 2 hours we caught around 10 bass a peice, I caught a white crappie and probably a combined 50 blue gills, most of which were hand size.







It's taken all summer to find the secret fishing hole, and I never dreamed it would be in November. Old school worm and bobber fishing. Getting Sunburned. By far the most fun i've had fishing all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment