Sunday, May 3, 2009

Makin Believers 1 Senko at a Time

May 2nd-
It was tournament status Saturday afternoon. Ryan "Poppa Rob" Robinson was blowin my phone up at 10:15 to wet a line. 4 hours later, he finally showed up with his entourage. Not helping any stereotypes there buddy. His cousin Dre and 2 of his friends came along for an afternoon of fishing for Smallmouth on the Darby. We were going to meet Otter too, so we were rollin 6 deep. I was pretty pumped about this trip. My cousin Todd gave me some coordinates on the Darby were he's caught Smallmouth. We drove out to meet Otter and noticed the water on the Darby was MOVIN. Why the hell didn't I think of this? We got rained out yestereday with tornado force storms and my dumbass wanted to go fishin on a creek. Since we were out in country we stopped to hit Osprey Lake which used to be a quarry and at one time was a paylake. What a waste of time. Nothin but tiny bluegill. The mexican beside us did catch a big snapping turtle. mmmm turtle tacos...







Poppa Rob ready to DO WORK SON










We decided to move camp to a pond at an apt complex off Bethel. It was a pretty good spot and we started catching big bluegill right away. After nothing more than a few Gills I decided to ditch the live bait and target some Bass. I switched to a swimming senko and set off around the far side of the pond. The pressure was on because I've been talkin so much game to Ryan that the senko HAD to pay off. The bluegills were biting the senko like crazy but they're too small to catch on the rig. I knew eventually a Bass would hit it. I felt a tug and set the bejesus out of the hook. It was the biggest Bass of the day! I caught 2 more the same size and had another one get away.
I left my camera over with the gear so I didn't get pictures. Brian and Dre ended up catching 8 bass on live bait.





Brian showin how they do it in FLA




Brian and Dre play football for Ohio State. Its always a blast to fish with those guys because they both can fish well and it always fun to talk football. After those 3 nice bass Ryan was sold on the senko. I set him up with a Senko starter kit...hooks, all different kinds of senkos and showed him the different rigs.

Hopefully soon he'll be able to catch at least one fish. That's alot of gear to haul around and not catch anything. Next time Poppa Rob, bring more 6 packs...

No comments:

Post a Comment