Monday, May 18, 2009

Catchin Minnows on Minnows

May 12th-
I got a "hot tip" from a dude in a kayak when I was fishing last weekend with Ryan. He paddled up and told me there was a spot on O'Shaugnessy Resivoir where guys were catching 100+ Crappies a day. He gave me instructions on where to park and said to walk north a little ways and I'd find the spot. I was pretty pumped about the prospects...I dont really care much for Crappie but if they're biting like that count me in. What the kayaker didn't tell me is that there is 17 miles of shoreline on O'Shaughnessy. It's pretty much an 8 mile stretch of the Scioto River that runs down Riverside Drive that they have dammed off. It's one of the top 10 Largemouth spots in ohio.

I headed out to scout out the location and Nate and Brian were following when they got off work. Evidently they don't have "salesman hours." There were spots off Riverside Drive that you could pull off and park and fish. I hit a few of them and caught a couple Largemouth and a nice crappie. Nate and Brian met up and we headed up north to the Kayakers spot. I casted in and caught a nice crappie on the first cast on a minnow. Seemed like a good sign.

then nothin.

Jason came out to test his luck and we moved spots closer to the boat launch. There was a group of 8 or 9 Mexicans in the first spot I caught the fish at. Why did they have ladders on top of their minivan Nate? Anyway, these Mexicans were slayin Crappie. Brian saw a stringer full of big ones.

It was getting late in the day. 3 hours of fishing and the sun was going down. Nate and Brian caught a few small bass and crappies at the very end, but other than that it was pathedic.


Embarassing, Super.
I've come to the conclusion that I need a boat. That's a whole nother blog post itself...

No comments:

Post a Comment