Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools!!!

April 1st-
What a terrific day! 76 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. You get about 30 days a year like this and I'm so thankful it's happening now. The waters are warming up and the fish are on the move looking to gourge themselves before the spawn. I'm happy to help them eat. Kinda. Until I rip a hook through their mouth!!

I went out with Toby and we've been anxious to fish together all winter. Hell, at one point he and I were standing outside in the snow messing with equipment. Toby has a 10 foot pelican boat and frequents a great spot in Mt. Vernon. Within about 10 minutes I caught a small Largemouth but it was great to get the first one in the boat. Still slow rollin the white spinnerbait! They're tearing it up right now.

About 5 minutes later I felt a fish bump the spinnerbait but i couldn't hook him. He came back and slammed it...I damn near fell out of the boat setting the hook. I knew right away it was a giant, it felt like I had a swimming cinder block on my line. He was fighting so hard that I had to strip drag out. Finally I get him up to the boat and Toby lips him. This is the point where I go psycho apeshit. YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a fat cow!!!! Easily a top 5 fish

I threw it on the scale and it measured 3lbs 11oz. Damn near 4lb Largemouth at this point in the year! Once she feeds for a couple weeks she's well over 4lbs.

Off to a hot start!!! Moments later I caught another tiny guy. 3 fish in less than 30 minutes, one of which is a tank.

That's when things changed.

The bite disappeared. We weren't getting bumps and we threw everything in our tackle boxes. Nary a Nibble...The joke became "Doesn't this bait look good?" "Yep, if I was a bass I'd eat it."

I felt bad for Toby because it was his first time out in 2 years (how do you own a boat and go an entire season without fishing!?) I wanted him to get his first fish. But all in all, it was a fantastic day on the water and we had a ton of fun. It's heating up right now, I'm really excited for a marathon on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment